Thursday, March 17, 2011

A little Spring Break crafting

Good morning CraftyStealers!

My kids are on Spring Break this week.  Days One and Two went well, but Day Three was rough.  Very rough.  There were lots of arguments, lots of tattling (my three-year-old is a stickler about the rules), and lots of whining.  Throw in a broken refrigerator and a 6-year-old who thought it would be a good idea to see if he could "blow" a nickel out of his mouth (and ended up swallowing it), and I was one frazzled mom at the end of the night. 

So after the kiddos were sleeping, I gathered up some supplies, a piece of yummy Italian cream pound cake (courtesy of my broken freezer), and headed up to finish some projects that have been sitting on my desk and forget about my day! (I don't know why, but making things with your hands is such a great way to de-stress!!)

A few weeks ago, Stephanie told me she had gotten some canvas frames from EK Success, and of course I went over to the CraftySteals office and "stole" some from her.  I have been making efforts to make my kids' rooms a little more "grown up", and I thought I could make some fun frames for finishing touches.

For my daughter, I painted the canvas frames a light purple, then stamped some swirls on with white pigment ink.  I made a border punch flower, and then punched out smaller flowers. Then, because she loves sparkles, I blinged it up with some i-rock gems. (Here's a little hint - If you like to bling things, keep your eyes peeled next week for a great way to add bling to your projects!).

For my son, I painted the canvas white with a thick acrylic, for texture.  Then I made the banner with a triangle punch, added some of my favorite AC Thickers, and "strung" it across the top using some hemp string. I used some pinking shears to make some "grass" for the bottom and added stickers and rub-ons to finish off the sports theme. (All stickers, paper, Thickers and rub-ons were from the AC Junior Collection steal).

After everything was done, I was relaxed enough to hit the hay, and when the kids woke up today, they were thrilled with their new frames! I hope it's a sign of a better day to come!

Have a great day, and if Spring Break is visiting your house, I hope you are enjoying it (and getting your craft on too!)

3 comments:

  1. These turned out so cute! I may have to make a sports one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute frames! Hope the rest of your week is calmer. My spring break starts at 3:10 today, hoping for lots of extra studio time! Can't wait to see the bling deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two boys 6 and 3 I feel you!

    ReplyDelete